Donate to our shops
We need your preloved items and have opened a temporary donation station at our Shrewsbury hospice. Please visit our Shop Safely With Us page to find out more. Thank you!
Our shops contribute around £1 million a year towards our fundraising pot thanks to people’s generous donations and the shoppers who support us.
They are only as successful at fundraising as the items they are able to sell and shoppers are willing to buy. We’ve produced a handy guide below to tell you what we love because it helps our shops contribute to the hospice’s £8 million fundraising target.
All of our shops will be delighted to accept donations of items in good condition, including:
- Clothes, shoes and accessories
- Curtains, bedding and household linen
- Books, CDs and DVDs. No videos please
- Toys. Please make sure they work and have all the bits and parts
- Kitchen equipment and household items
- Small electrical appliances
- Collectable items
- Furniture (please call our furniture store on 01743 211092 before donating furniture)
Use our guide below for handy reference.
How to donate
There are a number of convenient ways you can donate items to our shops, including:
- Dropping goods off at your local Severn Hospice shop. You can find your nearest shop and opening times here.
- Dropping goods off at our Telford hospice . We would appreciate it if you could phone our Retail office on 01743 272082 before visiting so we know to expect you.
- Organising a collection at your workplace by asking your colleagues to bring their goods in on an agreed day and then deliver everything to one of our shops. We are happy to help with the organisation of your workplace collection so please speak to your local shop manager or our retail office on 01743 272082 who will be able to supply posters, collection sacks and maybe even with collection of big donations. You can find your nearest shop and opening times here.
If you are a UK taxpayer we could claim an extra 25 per cent in Gift Aid from the taxman on the value of the items you donate to our shops at no extra cost to you. This means for every £10 worth of Gift Aided goods sold we are able to claim an additional £2.50 from the taxman, making your donation go further.
Gift aid claimed on our supporters’ donated items raises thousands of pounds extra for the hospice every year.
Please ask about signing up to Gift Aid when dropping goods off at our shops or Telford hospice or download and complete the form below and take it with you when donating your items. Regulations require that we would contact you to confirm you intention to donate the proceeds from the sale of the items you have kindly donated. By providing us with your email address will help us reduce our administration costs when we do so.
Items we can’t accept
We really don’t like saying no to things but there are times when we have to, unfortunately.
These times will be when we can’t put your item on the shelf because we’re not able to legally, or because we know it’ll struggle to find a buyer and will be taking up valuable space from something we know is more popular with our shoppers. We have to maximise our fundraising space.
Anything we do take but can’t resell will cost us money to dispose of safely, which goes against the spirit of the kind thought of donating to us:
- Furniture that does not comply with safety standards
- Children’s cots
- Crash helmets
- Computer equipment
- Roller blades and skateboards
If you have a question about donating goods to our shops, please contact our Retail on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01743 272082.